Monday 22 September 2014

Preliminary Task Evaluation

Evaluation 


For the preliminary task we had to design a Haydon biased magazine, I have now finished this and now i'm going to evaluate it and see what I did good and what I can improve on. I decided to call my magazine 'The Stag' as the stag itself is the logo of Haydon School and it can be seen everywhere around the school. For the front cover I decided to have the masthead large, simple and white as I think the white really stands out against the full bleed. Additionally the masthead follow the codes and conventions of a magazine by being so large and bold. I was originally going to use a picture of a girl standing in front of a tree for my full bleed, however I didn't feel that it linked to all the students, therefore I changed it to a picture of my two friends, Casey and Tom, on their prom day. I decided to use this picture as prom is something that right from year 7 everyone gets excited about, boys and girls, as well as this it was a major event that had happened not that long ago. Also I applied other aspects of a real magazine to mine, for example I added a bar code, sell lines button, issue number, and date. I also kept my colour scheme simple and consistent throughout the magazine, I think this makes my magazine look more professional.

Next I did my contents page, for this again I kept to the same colour scheme of; blue, white and yellow, this is to make my magazine look more professional, also these colours are easily recognisable and related to the school so I thought it would be a good choice of colour scheme. I then decided to go for a simple layout and just make a section at the top for the title 'contents' and space for social media, underneath I then placed the pictures. Next to the pictures I have put the large page numbers which are conventional to a magazine and then a small description of whats on each page. 


Although, I admit that even though I believe my magazine is pretty well made for the amount of time we had to make it, if I was to recreate my magazine, I would change some things. For example I would add more information underneath the picture on the contents page, I would rearrange the picture so their is no large white gaps anywhere. I would write more to do with the social media and adding in a subscribing box with information regarding that. Additionally I would use pictures that are in better quality and from better angles. Lastly for my front cover I think I would use a better quality photo, and really think more about what my sell lines would be. I would also change the font to make it look more  professional.

No comments:

Post a Comment